the Nice Treaty's call for "a deeper and wider debate about the future
of the European Union", the Laeken European Council adopted on 15/12/2001
a "Declaration on the Future of the European Union" committing
the Union to greater democracy, transparency and efficiency, and to preparing
a Constitution for European citizens. A European Convention
on the Future of Europe, convened by the Laeken Council, was held
from 28/2/2002 to the 20/6/2003, to prepare for the IGC,
including a Forum in which civil society organisations could participate.
Nice Treaty Provision
Final Act, Declaration 23
- 26/2/2001. The Nice Treaty's call for a debate on the future of the
Declaration - 15/12/2001
Laeken Summit Conclusions (Extract) - 15/12/2001. The full text
of the conclusions is also available.
- Dates, topics, preparatory documents and summaries of the convention
groups - Working documents, final reports, and other information on
the convention working groups.
documents - Full list of convention documents.
- Full list of contributions by members of the convention.
- Full list of speeches by participants of the convention.
Institution documents - Relevant documents by EU Institutions.
Parliament documents - Relevant documents by national parliamentary
documents - Agenda and summary documents of praesidium meetings.
convention - Final text adopted by the Youth Convention.
Treaty of a Constitution (HTML)
- 18/07/03 Draft of a Treaty Establishing a Constitution for Europe, prepared
by the convention and presented to the European Council Meeting in Thessaloniki
on 20 June 2003.